Friday, September 13, 2013

Kitty Korner

I'll try not to bore you with another entire page on just my cats but once in a while I am going to give the Kitty Korner Update. These won't be on Fridays necessarily, rather whenever I have a funny picture, story, or report to make on my kitties. It just happened to be a post I had ready.

This summer was a major hunting season for my cats. Almost every day they would show up with a decapitated critter hanging from their mouths from little mousey to big bunny, they've caught them all. Just a few weeks ago I was calling out the front door for George to come in, when he jumped out of nowhere up the side of the porch with something tight in his jaws. He was so fast that by the time I realised what was happening he was halfway through the door and as I scrambled to shut it on him he squeezed through. He ran a short way before I grabbed for his middle and he dropped what he'd brought in. I nearly died with exasperation and disgust. It was rabbit legs. Just two of them. Weren't bloody or anything, but I mean! What cat finds two hind legs of a bunny and carries them around? Ugh. I made mum put them out because I couldn't stomach it. As gross as it was, I couldn't stop laughing from the hilarity of that dumb little cat. Something that may have made up for it was a local cute pet contest I was going to enter him in. All I had to do was send in a cute picture but I missed the deadline. Maybe next time. When he isn't catching bunny legs he can be so silly. Like when he was thirsty I turned on the sink for him to drink from the faucet but instead of just putting his tongue in like normal cats, he sticks his whole head under! What a little bumpkin...

On another instance he wasn't so cute. One of his favorite hobbies is bird watching. Every year I grow sunflowers which reach almost two stories high. Well, George loves flowers. He sits under them in the shade and sleeps. So he picked one, literally. I woke up in the morning to find one sunflower had fallen down and another had been snapped from the root and I spied the culprit sitting smugly, almost lazily around underneath. He's ridiculous. The other two haven't exactly been little angels either, they're just not so obvious. Near the end of summer the gold finches come and eat up the seeds. Last year when they were here George leaped from the porch and caught a bird in his gross little mouth. Awful cat. So this time I'm betting something similar occurred.

Surprisingly enough, Lily is the one with the latest adventure. Lily is the little runt, the one that's always begging for food and unlike Fred, she only spends 1-2 nights outside each year on average. I mean barely ever! But on Tuesday of this week I realised she had not come in the night before and I'd not seen her since. I was worried but what could I do? It's just so unlike her to disappear. The next day she was still nowhere to be found and I was getting anxious thinking of all the possible scenarios. No sign of her the next day either. I told my neighbors to keep an eye out for her. Three whole nights she was gone. Three whole nights I felt her absence beside my pillow and no furry face to smother with kisses. Finally yesterday I arrived home to find a note scribbled on the door saying she was back! I went inside and there she was, running down the stairs to me and I swept her into my arms. I'd forgotten how light she was. Complete and seemingly without injury, my little Lily was home at last. I wish I could ask her where she went. So thankful she's back!

Everything has been okay here (especially now with Lily safe). Not great, but bearable. This week is the one where everything else that was off for the summer starts back up and I will be even more busy! I'm not exactly looking forward to it but I think that if I had any more free time than I do now, I might find myself bored. I need to stay doing things or I could end up stuck in the same place forever, lost in my own world of thoughts. This is why I like to make plans. It keeps me focused, able to sit for seven hours every day without talking to anyone. Not real conversations anyway, the occasional hi in the hallway doesn't count. I keep telling myself to look ahead, not dwell too much on worthless worries, and before I know it I'll be home. That will be my advice for the week.
Look ahead, not behind. Praying really helps too. Unceasing, constant prayer has proven my only friend on these seemingly endless school days and it's the only thing keeping me moving along. Something I'm going to try and add is a verse of the week, hopefully relevant to the topic. So here's this weeks':

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18)

That's all I have time for now. Bye and be back next Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment