Friday, December 27, 2013

...And Beyond

With 2014 fast approaching, it's time to make new plans for the new year. Recently I've been kinda thinking that maybe it's better to start resolutions in the middle of January, like the time everyone else quits theirs. Did you know that 50% of Americans give up their goals within the first month? And 75% within three months? Those are pretty horrible and I'm hoping to be part of the few who keep with it. I mean, I like the idea of starting with the new year because it means fresh starts and fresh goals. But at the same time, if it doesn't work out, as it's bound to become bothersome at some point, my gut reaction is pretty much oh well, guess I'll try again next year. And that gets me nowhere because if I'm not attempting to try again even if only to get a day farther than the last try, I am probably going to give up in the same amount of time and then the goal is never reached. In fact, most of my reached goals like reading the Bible, were made not at the beginning of the year, but during school. I mean, why not make new month resolutions? It seems more practical. However, I'm not that practical and I love making lists, so I can't resist making one to at least think about and perhaps I won't begin it until February, who knows.

I think my first three all go together and will in turn help the rest because I should be saving more time. I would like to have better time management, work harder, and yet breath more. My thinking in this is that if I work harder to finish things in a timely manner I shouldn't waste hours on one subject, and then I should have more time to relax or pray or whatever without feeling guilty for not doing something else. With some of the extra time I really need to get into a schedule of practicing my instruments every day. The second half of characteristics I am working toward is simply being more real, more open. I don't think this will be a goal I can simply throw out at the end of 2014, but will probably struggle with all my life, not only because of experiences, but because it's a natural part of me that I'll always fight with. Something to help me with this would definitely be to pray more, and of course I'll be navigating my way through the Bible again, though I had a head start on that because I finished and started over again like in October. 

So those were all the ones relating to my character, these next one's are more like wishes, and hopes, just for my pleasure. There's a few that will need all year to achieve, and some just for over the summer. Firstly, I would love to get to a point in my Spanish learning where I can understand at least the gist of most everything and be able to speak at least a little. My first step in this would be to complete Duolingo. My two goals relating to physical training would be the one handed pull-up and the splits (for real this time). The splits have probably been on my list for the last four years and the longest I've gone is three months. They are not only cool looking to be able to do,  but being flexible prevents injuries as well. Then the one handed pull-up is somewhat of a continuation from last year, again simply because I think it's cool, not that I use those muscles for anything else at all. I will continue my regular routine this month just so I can do thirteen regular pull-ups and then there is this trick with a towel that I will change the level on every month until I can do one. The only other one on my list that will take the entire year is my reading challenge on Goodreads. I barely got my forty books last year and this time I upped it by five so we'll see how that goes.

Then over the summer, I'll probably pick up some new lists here and there of things I want to do, but one of them is getting some animal volunteer work. As I've mentioned before I would like to train dolphins at some point as a side job and one of the requirements I can easily start on now is simply working with animals. I am hoping to do it with the cat clinic by me. This next one isn't necessarily a goal because it's not something I'm just dying to get off my list, but perhaps I can take some steps that will someday allow me to travel someday. I would love to go to Germany to become fluent, also to Costa Rica with my sister. Then of course something I've been drooling over for years....to be able to attend Gail Carson Levine's writing workshop. Anyone near Brewster out there?

That's basically my plans for this year. Not that the Lord won't have his own plans swirling around, but I find it nice to be prepared to grow in certain areas and then the years don't feel like such a waste.




No comments:

Post a Comment