Friday, July 22, 2016

Adventures in Brewster

Now how did a small town loving Wheaton girl end up in New York for the summer? You may be asking. God works miracles. I've been wanting to do this since I was about 12. Here's the journey of each step and how God met each and every need. To begin with, the problem was I didn't know anyone in rural New York. I had an uncle in Brooklyn which was not convenient to be commuting back and forth from. So, one viola lesson a couple months ago I mentioned offhandedly to my teacher I was looking for a place to stay in NY. It just so happened her brother in law lived just 20 minutes north of Brewster!

I was unstoppable. As long as I wasn't living on the streets I could work everything else out. Problem was I still needed some back-up hosts because his house was on the market. A couple months went by and I hadn't really gotten any further. However, the one nailed down location was a mere train ride and 5 minute walk from the public library. That was encouraging. We rolled into June and plans needed to start falling into place. No one wanted to house me for 6 weeks. Then while I was away taking teacher training I get this phone call from my mum who is visiting a relative. Turns out a lady she grew up across the street from has a sister who lives somewhat close to where I need to be! Housing problems conquered! Sort of...

Then there was the problem of getting to NY itself. Going on year two of having no vehicle we were no closer to finding one. Well as mid-June rolled around it so happened that my friends were coming to pay a visit and driving their car. That wouldn't be exceptional except that they were planning on leaving the car and picking up another one from a relative on the second half of their vacation and would we like the old car? Wait....a free car? That hasn't any problems? Yes please! Wow, if that doesn't show how God provides what does? Just when we needed a car most.

Behind the scenes He was working more miracles. Two weeks later I would realize I'd need a bike to bring to NY and it had to be one I could leave there. I went off asking people and not until the day before we left did we get an offer. So, on July 4th, right before we headed out we were picking up my new bike and everything was set. There were still more incredible circumstances that would not have been so incredible but for God. Such as the medical paperwork and physical that needed to be completed for school before I left. Normal doctor appointments should be scheduled about a month ahead. I had a week. Well, providentially there was one spot available that Friday, three days before I left.

Housing, check.
Transportation, check.
Bicycle, check.
Medical paperwork, check

The one thing I did not get by the time I left was the SIM card for my new phone which, well, that's another story. Point is, we often think that God's timing is always late. That may be but he always gets the job done. I'm seeing some humor now in the phone card story but that will have to wait until you read the next post or so.

Hey, look at that! It was my Blogging Anniversary on the 19th! Proudly bringing posts to you since 2013. What an incredible ride it's been. That takes me all the way back to my 5th year at Hogwarts. Lots of memories here. I think I've lost all my readers at least twice now. We're in need of a revival. With this minnie series on my adventures this summer I hope you will continue to check back each Friday as I learn to get back in the habit. The material is here, I'm just lacking motivation. However, if you comment or like or whatever you do to let me know you're reading, I'll feel more obligated. Here's to another year of blogging!


No comments:

Post a Comment