Friday, August 2, 2013

School at Home

This week I need help from my readers. I am asking anyone who is or was homeschooled at one point to sort of summarize their experience with it. Here's the kind of thing I'd be interested in:

Do you like it?
Are there any classes you take outside of home with other kids?
Do you find it hard to make friends?
Would you rather go to a public/ private school?
Do you take a lot of extra subjects?
Do you feel like you're missing out on "real school?"
Do you think you move at a fast pace?
Would you say that you're a hard worker?
Do you prefer to work by yourself?
Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
Do you have a youth group you attend?

If you've been to public school before please also include some of these:
If you started out at a public school, why did you switch to homeschool?
Do you feel like you have/had more opportunities homeschooling?
When at public school did you feel that it was slow or that you could go much quicker?
Were the kids generally nice?
Was the homework tedious or was it helpful?
Did you enjoy working in groups?
Were things taught in your learning style or something you were comfortable with?
About how much time was wasted per day/ per class?
Did you enjoy public school? Did you dread it?
Were the teachers good at what they did? Were they nice?
Did you have helpful textbooks?
If you went to public school in elementary, was it all a big waste?
If you were home-schooled until high school and then switched, did you feel prepared? Overwhelmed?
If any of my questions offend by all means skip them!

You may be wondering about this time whether I'm one of those public school kids who has all these misconceptions about homeschooling. Just a minute and I'll answer the questions myself. Here's why I'm asking for comments. If you've read any of my other posts (all two of them!) you'll find that I myself was homeschooled through 4th grade. I loved learning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then in 5th grade I was forced to go to public school and I've been stuck there ever since. This was due to the fact that my parents were divorced and my father was given decision making rights that included my schooling. This is what the courts call joint-parenting. They make everyone happy by evenly splitting us kids. They let one parent have custody but then the other gets the decisions. Brilliant, right? Wrong. It was torture and I got almost no say in any of it. Father sent me to public school in order to keep me away from mum as much as possible. He originally wanted to send me to a boarding school but that didn't go down real well. It wasn't fair at all. All of a sudden he was taking this great interest in my schooling when he'd never done so before. He was acting all involved in everything I did and it was upsetting all I was used to. He gave no thought that it might ruin my education or even me for that matter. It destroyed my love for learning but he could have cared less. His sole purpose was to keep me away from home. Some plan huh? Guess he didn't realise that in the act of putting me in school he would also be severing any respect I'd had for him. So though I know that his sending me to public school had nothing to do with academics and it will likely do no good, I need him to understand exactly what he is sacrificing my education for. That through his selfishness and his stubborn belief that he was right to do so, he has ruined most of my future options all because of that one decision. It didn't even accomplish the goal that he'd set out to achieve in the first place. All this time he has insisted that it was the right thing to do but was it worth it?

Okay so did I like homeschooling? I loved it. I took a ton of classes outside of home, more than they ever offered at the public schools. I also went to Greenhouse, a once a week school for homeschoolers. I did as many extra activities and sports as I could and I loved every minute of it. I would say that I went at a fast pace, though it didn't feel like it, but now having other students to compare with I know I was way ahead of my year. It was completely against my will that I went  to public school in fifth grade. Had it been my choice I would have dropped out after the first week. I never had trouble making friends, I was a pretty outgoing little kid. However, I am an introvert and I don't like making a fool of myself in front of strangers. This may make me come across as shy when I'm really not. If anything, public school is what made me "shy." The other thing is that I prefer to work alone. I hated all the little group projects that were assigned mainly because I had to rely on the other members to do their part otherwise everyone got a bad grade. Okay I know that the teachers are just trying to show us how to collaborate but maybe school age isn't the best time. It's just not the best approach and I feel like if in the future you want a job that involves working with others that's probably because you're already good at it. I'm not saying that I don't like other people, rather that being homeschooled I've found that doing things myself is much more efficient. The youth group question was merely out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure that most homeschoolers go to church and/or a youth group regularly and I wondered if perhaps that's why I enjoy being around them more than some. That could just be in my area though.

Now for public school I'll try to be brief. That one year of elementary was all just a big party for me. I started about a month after school began and something I found out they did every Monday was have "Circle Time" to tell about their weekends. During it kids would try and come up with the best, coolest stories to tell about, all of them lies, while I tried to come up with the shortest, easiest thing I could think of. These story times usually lasted about an hour. It nearly drove me mad with boredom as I listened to the wild tales the boys told that anyone could guess were fake. Maybe that's how I became appreciative of true story telling. I don't remember much of middle school. One thing I can think of is that all of the science was material I'd already learned at Greenhouse in 2nd and 3rd grade but it wasn't nearly as fun. Everything was an easy A. People say that because not all homeschoolers have a set schedule they don't really do school but with all the interruptions in the classroom public schools waste their own fair share if not way more. I'd say a day of homeschooling is equivalent to a week anywhere else. This brings us to my first year of high school last year. Nothing prepared me for the load of homework that I got from all my advanced classes. My teacher for biology was awful besides which made it all the harder and I nearly failed. The textbooks were no help either, especially for math which turned out to be an issue because at home my whole lessons were out of the textbook (Saxon in case you were wondering). I had to drop two of my A level second semester or have no time to have a normal life. Obviously things weren't going well for me and again I pleaded father to let me homeschool. He persisted that it was all for the best, it would get better, that I wasn't really trying. Well I've tried it for five years and it is only getting worse. I'm missing out on all these opportunities and I can only pray that I will find a way out soon. There have been many studies done which all prove that homeschoolers are much better equipped for college and good careers but if I continue this for the next three years I don't know where I'll be. A last piece of advice is that if you're going to high school just so you can make friends, that might not be the wisest though it really depends on your personality. None of my true friends go to school where I do. I'm not antisocial but the people I talk to are just lunch table friends--the kind that you never see outside of school. I don't mean to say it's all bad. Many homeschoolers switch to public in high school and like it just fine. There are a lot of other issues I've had with my father which I'm not including here which may contribute to my extreme dislike of it. This is just my own experience. Thank you for any comments!

I'm including this video for your entertainment. A friend showed it to me and I thought it was pretty hilarious and it pokes fun at most of the stereotypes of homeschoolers.   ;-p



11 comments:

  1. Hello, Melissa!
    I'm a homeschooler with a common interest in Ms. Gail Carson Levine's books, so out of curiosity I followed your link here. Here are my answers:
    Yes, I love homeschooling, and I'd prefer it over another type. Until I started high school (3 years ago now, yikes!), I'd never really taken any classes outside of the home except for art classes with my cousins and other H.S. families from our church. My freshman year we started at a nearby co-op, which I loved. I used to be painfully shy, but I think that was primarily a personality trait, and I've since grown out of most of my shyness. Summer camp, which I started going to at 13, was a major factor in my learning to be more outgoing; I think co-op also contributed. An exceptionally friendly girl name Mackenzie drew me in immediately, and from then on, making friends at co-op was easy.
    In homeschooling, I have been able to work at my own pace; I'm not sure whether it's necessarily fast or slow compared to public schoolers'. I would say that I am a hard worker. As far as working by myself, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking; I typically work in my bedroom, away from my 3 siblings, but not always.
    I am a Christian who loves her Lord and getting to worship Him and learn more about Him. Especially since being baptized for remission of sins nearly two years ago, I've been excited to find more ways in which I can serve Him. I'm currently helping my mom teach the 4-K Bible class (those kids are adorable!!! :D).
    I'm sorry about your difficulty with public school; I'll pray that your situation gets easier. Maybe God has a plan for you, that this will be an opportunity for you to serve Him or to help others. Hang in there!
    In His grace,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for being the first to reply!
      By fast paced I just meant do you spend eight hours a day on school. Another question I thought of is do you usually go through the summer? I big flaw with public school around here is that when we have three months off for summer break we forget everything. The question about working by yourself was a rather dumb one to ask of a homeschooler and should have been put in the second set of questions. I guess you could take it as do you enjoy when your parents do the subject with you or would you rather just have the textbook and go read it yourself.
      I am so happy to hear that you are strong in your faith and ready to serve! Keep it up and thank you for your prayers, you don't know what it means to me. If you know anyone else that would be would be willing to answer these questions as well please send them the link to this post. I check every day.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm Elisa, also a follower of Mrs. Levine's blog.
    Answering your main question is I LOVE HOMESCHOOLING!
    Do I take classes with other kids: No, but I do go to co-op, which is similar.
    Do I find it hard to make friends: A bit, but I'm a natural introvert, and that's just normal for me, though, recently I've been working on that.
    Would I rather go to public school: No! I believe public schools are responsible for the brokenness of these last couple of generations.
    Do I take lot of extra subjects: No, but I do take musical lessons, handwriting and languages.
    Do I feel like I'm missing out on "real school": Again, No, I absolutely do not. In "real school", basically what they teach you is a lot of propaganda. Don't even get me talking about peer-pressure etc. And if I have trouble, I can get direct help from my mom, without having to worry that anyone else will think I'm an idiot for not understanding it the first time. Also, being homeschooled, I have a wonderful amount of time to spend with my family. Homeschoolers tend to have better familial relationships than public-schoolers because of this.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "fast paced". If you mean get through our books quickly, well, it depends on the subject. I get spelling, writing and history done a few weeks early. Math and science, sometimes a few weeks late.
    Would I say I'm a hard worker: I'm pretty good. My family greatly emphasizes a good strong work ethic. My daddy is a very good example of this. He is an amazing man, responsible, honest and VERY hard working. So I have a good model.
    Do I prefer to work by myself: Yes. I just do better on my own, but I am a leader, and can organize a group of people, being in charge myself.
    As I already mentioned, I am more of an introvert, but I am working on that. My siblings aren't though, three out of five of them are very outgoing.
    Do I have a youth group to attend: I attend teen get-togethers, that bring local teens together for fun and games
    On the whole, I think we homeschoolers tend to stick together more. I think we also tend to have better relationships with our families when we are not sent off to some stuffy, boring place for six to eight hours. And parents can control what their kids are being taught, instead of any manner of rubbish that gets pumped into the heads of public schooled kids. And, in polls, it is clear to see that homeschoolers are usually quite a bit smarter. Maybe they don't necessarily have more brain capacity, but they get direct help, straight from a person who can devote time to them specifically. Which helps a great deal. They also are better readers. Because of the dramatic plunge in good readers recently, the libraries are literally dumping out thousands of books a year. Loss in literacy is a horrible thing, which results in less history (etc.) being read, which results in ignorance (Which is horrible in itself) which results in dictatorship. If we don't read, we won't know what's already happened, and we won't be able to avoid pervious mistakes. Such as World Wars, The Fall of Rome, etc. Which is all very bad, and why a good education is more precious than we know; and homeschoolers just tend to get more attention to their schooling by someone who cares personally for them.
    I'm sorry this was such a long comment, but I feel very strongly on the subject of good education. Some of the things I've said may be a little inflammatory, but they are true facts, and I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes. I am absolutely not accusing the kids who go to public school for what they are taught, they have no real say in the matter. There, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No this is great and I totally agree with you!
      I was just thinking also that it really should be kind of hard to make friends. I mean the kind you actually know. Because no one can just walk up to someone and decide they're friends. With public school I'm not sure that all those cliques can truly say they're friends. Most of them probably have nothing much in common. Making real friends usually takes time and I think when they're made through homeschooling there are a whole lot less issues than when you meet in the hallway or something if that makes sense. Also, by extra subjects I meant just other classes which definitely include music, art, languages, etc. That sounds like fun! And I would agree with getting direct help from your own parents helps so much. There just aren't enough opportunities for you to do that with a teacher anywhere else and even then sometimes they make you feel dumb or you might just be too embarrassed to ask.
      Fast paced was a bit open ended wasn't it? I guess I meant do you spend eight hours getting through everything combined. I assume not. When I was homeschooled I probably did only about two hours or so a day minus homework and some subjects I only did once a week except math yet I still managed to finish all my lessons in a year.
      I really appreciate this, it's a huge help!! If you can, get as many of your friends to comment as well just send a link or something.

      Delete
  3. Hey,
    I saw this on Mrs. Levine's blog and thought I would check it out. I have been homeschooled all of my life, but this year I am starting public school (I am about to start freshman year)
    Here goes:
    Do you like it?--Yes
    Are there any classes you take outside of home with other kids?--I took art classes, gymnastics, soccer, piano, lots and lots of outside classes
    Do you find it hard to make friends?--No, not really. I am a little 'shy' when in a new group but I quickly open up.
    Would you rather go to a public/ private school?--In 6th grade I really wanted to go, but my mom wouldn't let me. Now I have to go because of a lot of complicated reasons that I won't bore you with. :)
    Do you take a lot of extra subjects?--If you define all those classes as extra subjects then yes.
    Do you feel like you're missing out on "real school?"--no, I am pretty involved in social life. Really the only thing I would be 'missing out' on is having 30 kids in a class room, and homework
    Do you think you move at a fast pace?--yes, I am usually done in
    2-5 hours, depending on the day.
    Would you say that you're a hard worker?--yes
    Do you prefer to work by yourself?--In most subjects, yes. I did a couple with my mom-like History
    Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?--probably extrovert
    Do you have a youth group you attend?--yes! and I love it. My youth pastor is awesome and I love all the things we do. One of the hardest things about moving (and I move a lot as a military child), is finding a new church. We were just blessed to find such a good one so quickly.
    Anyways, hope this helped! and good luck on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This is very helpful.
      I totally understand the military situation. My oldest brother has been in the army band maybe about four years and he has already moved about three times I think. He is married and has one kid though not school age yet. I'll be curious to see what they decide to do with her for school. They also find it hard to find a church they like so I'm glad you have one. I've found that especially these last few years it's been really helpful to have a community of believers and leaders that are always there to listen. Since you'll be starting public school does that mean you'll be staying in the same area all four years? I hope it goes well for you and that you like it at least a little. High school is definitely an adventure, and if there are more than one middle schools that drain into it then not everyone knows each other which can be nice for making friends because they're all nervous about meeting new people. Out of curiosity, do you usually live on base or outside of it? Because every visit I've made to a military base it seems so boring and not very kid friendly. Like all the people do for fun is get haircuts and visit the PX! I'm sure you know much more about it than I do, if I'm talking nonsense let me know!

      Delete
    2. We aren't sure if we will be here all four years of highschool. Definitely the next 2 years, but then we might have to move.
      I hope they can find a good church family. Sometimes it is really hard when you are in a military community and there are only like 2 churches in the area. And sometimes it's just hard even if there are 100 churches.
      Most of the places I have lived off-base. We were overseas for 7 and 1/2 years (Germany and Japan), and we lived off base both places, as well as in Texas. But when we lived in DC and Arizona we were on base. Now we are off again (and those places were in no order whatsoever just saying).
      Well, State-side it's different because you are in America, in an English-speaking city/town. From experience, I would say there is probably more things to do on an overseas base than on a state-side base. We just moved from Germany and the base was HUGE. And coming here, the base and BX/PX, commissary and stuff just seem so small. Granted, Ramstein-the base we were stationed at in Germany-had the largest military BX, but even compared to other BX's it's still small. Anyway, in Germany and stuff they usually have more family-oriented activities. The main hangout usually is the BX just because it's the overseas/military equivalent of a mall. There is usually a theatre on base too, and we had a library, a community centre that did plays, had a pool hall, the base pool (as in swimming), an art store/workshop. There are usually playgrounds near the family housing, some more fun than others. A school-or three in Ramstein-and stuff too. Sometimes there is also a child-care place. It really depends on the area.
      I know here in NM, the base doesn't have nearly as much stuff, but the base is in the middle of a big city so it's different. Here we just have the normal military shops, ie BX, commissary, gas station, barber shop, military clothing, military furniture, and a McDonald's. And then the work buildings, and housing-which are on every base.
      I'm not at all sure how confusing this....hope it might have explained something! :)

      Delete
    3. This was really interesting!
      So can you speak German? I noticed the esset in your name. Do you have a German keyboard? Also did you like Arizona? Because that's where my brother will be going next. I wish it was Germany =P I've always wanted to go there...it sounds a lot more interesting too.

      Delete
    4. I can speak some German. We got two tutors but both of them quit. I just used the alt codes on the keyboard, instead of an actual German keyboard. and my last name is actually Vice, but the above is the German spelling; it just adds a fun accent :]
      Honestly, I don't remember Arizona very much because I was born there and we moved when I was two or three.

      Delete
  4. I love being homeschooled!
    I don't really take extra classes, I run a book club at the library...
    Yes it's a little harder but once you meet someone who asks where you go to school they stay longer to talk!
    DO NOT want to go to normal school!
    I love history and would love to pursue some career connected to it so I do extra history, I also do Latin blegh.
    My other option for school is the the local public school, which is locally infamous. So no.
    On some things I move fast, on others I'm slow.
    I'm a hard worker on some things...
    I never really "alone" as I have three younger sisters and one younger brother.
    I'm a mixture.
    Nope.
    I'm not as religous as everyone else here but I'll join their prayers for you.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire anyone who is good at history. Is there a certain text book that made you like it? I wish I appreciated it more.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

      Delete