Friday, January 10, 2014

Winter Wonder What?

Sorry, I know that was a lame attempt at an interesting title. Since I've been so behind, this is just going to be some of my thoughts on winter. With such cold weather, this has not been a good week for instruments. As soon as I get one tuned I hear a click that means one of the pegs just completely loosened and I have to start all over. Ugh! Why didn't I pick a recorder or something that doesn't care about the weather? Here's a whole list of laments and complements about living in an area that has a cold season!

I hate winter, the way it freezes me to the bone.
Yet through all the bitter cold, I love how it brings people together.
All the men in our neighborhood have snow-blowers.
They've shoveled our sidewalk like three times this week.
And then there's the one who offered to do our driveway as well.
Did I mention we're not really friends with any of these people?
Then again, what about the pleasant reminders,
Of how our little space heaters are nothing to fight against the cold?
Like this week, -15 degrees with -50 wind chill?
Ach! It makes me want to hibernate.
But thinking twice again, 
What about the hot chocolate with whipped cream
When you come in from the cold and feel yourself thawing.
I hate winter. The snow, the boots, all the heavy clothes.
At least in December there's Christmas to look forward to.
But what about in January and February, the bitterest of the year?
I don't know how I survive around here.
Kittens, blankets, heaters, hats, I couldn't live without them.
Except none of those help the way my hands are always cold.
But however much I dislike winter,
No one can resist hoping for snow days!
Staying indoors, the snow locking us in,
It's cool how whole states shut down because of God's power.
Like he's telling us to stop being busy, relax, and enjoy the snow.
This was my attempt to have a positive outlook on winter.
It's not so bad really, but with two and a half months left,
I'll be glad to see it go.

My favorite thing this winter so far has totally been the Disney movie Frozen! I've seen it almost five times I think. It is so fun and the music is absolutely, perfectly written (except the snowman) plus they used the best Broadway singer ever--Idina Menzel =P I've heard that they're making it into a live musical, that will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment