Friday, October 25, 2013

A Poke at Politics

"The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy but cannot disjoin them."
-A Summary View of the Rights of British America (1774)

I came across this quote in the program of a concert I went to recently and I think it's brilliantly true. I know this is a subject that almost everyone goes off on debates about so I thought I'd put my one cent in. I've never been that interested in politics so I'm not going to pretend like I know much about them. I feel like I should be more involved than I am seeing as I have a brother in the army but the fact is I'm not. I just don't see the point of getting in heated arguments over how the government is run because that just divides us further. Anyway, that's just my own opinion.

What bothers me is why Christians also seem to think sometimes that humanity is at stake if this person isn't elected, or that law isn't passed, when the Bible clearly shows where we should put all our hope. Let's not forget who really gives life and liberty here. The hymn "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" is based off of Matthew 7:24-27. It shows that our foundation should be Christ, solely. We can't have split loyalties. That shows a great deal of distrust that the Lord can and will save and instead puts faith in people who are very unreliable. You'd think we'd have learned this by now. On our own, we will never be able to create lasting harmony. We're flawed and that's that. There will always be people out there left unhappy unless we're united under the one true God.

If you remember, the last line of the pledge tries to connect the two. "One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." It's a good goal to strive for, but one we haven't yet reached. Even if it wasn't written on a document, I rather thought that life and liberty were a given. I didn't need someone to give me these. Jefferson saw this when he named them unalienable rights. He recognizes that they can neither be given or taken except by God. Neither do I agree with us being called indivisible. As far as I'm concerned, we are far from that because if we're divided among ourselves, it will eventually split the nation. The closest we've been to working together would have been the Declaration of Independence because they were all working toward a common goal. I admire them so much for that. That a group of people so different could find a way to unite makes me wonder what in today's society has changed that. Now that we're free, we no longer have one thing in mind but a whole host of ideas that we want implemented. Now. I'll enforce my view with another wonderful quote, this one by J.K. Rowling. "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

I also don't agree with the justice and liberty for all part. Having been involved in the court system for over five years I've learned a thing or two about what America calls justice and liberty and I can't imagine what other ways we're being misled. It was most definitely the Lord that rescued me from the court judgement because what happened was not typical. I'm not suggesting we all give America up as a lost cause but don't bet your whole life on it because some day, and that may not be far, it will fall. And if it's God's will, there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I was going to say that I found this verse completely by accident, but in another sense I think I must have been led to it on purpose.
2 Corinthians 10:3-4
We are human, but we don't wage war as humans do. We use God's mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment